Friday, April 9, 2010

Smokin'

In my neverending quest to be more self-sufficient, I'm always looking for ideas and plans that will help toward that goal. One of my long-standing plans has been to have a dedicated outdoor cooking space, and what I want is an actual 1970s'-esque suburban outdoor BBQ pit/kitchen.

Yeah, we all know what I mean ;) - a place for all of my doomer dinner parties :). And the options are limitless.

Unfortunately, I've always thought that it would be a very expensive project (which has nothing to do with my, rather, extravagant tastes ;).

There's this saying that I remember at times like these ask and you shall receive, which is what has happened.

A couple of days ago, I received this month's copy of Mother Earth News magazine, and on the front cover was the article that I'd been hping somebody would write - a how-to build an All-in-One outdoor oven, stove, grill, smoker. It was that last word that cinched it for me. Since we discovered how amazing the flavor of smoked chicken and rabbit is, I knew that I wanted a dedicated space for a permanent outdoor kitchen complete with a smoker for preserving meat.

And the best part?

The project costs less than $400.

I'll be moving some garden beds this summer, and probably losing some of my backyard garden space, but it will be worth it to have an outdoor oven, stove, grill, smoker ...

... and maybe even that hand dug or driven well we've been contemplating ....

3 comments:

  1. We saw that article too. I need to go the site and pull the plans; we can't build it here but we do want one.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great project - I saved those instructions for later use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME! I showed the article to Mr. Barefoot, hinting strongly that I would like to do this.... his response? "hmmmmmm...."

    ReplyDelete