Monday, April 5, 2010

Pete and Re-Pete

When my grandma gave birth to twin boys, she was out of names. At forty-two years old and nine children later (seven of whom were boys), she had lost her sense of humor. Luckily, however, her children had found it, and when they were trying to decide on names, the title of this post was one of the (discarded) suggestions.

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I'm trying to come up with a blog post title, sometimes certain phrases just stick in my head. The above title is an example of that. It just stuck in my head Pete and Re-Pete.

After I published today's post, I remembered that I'd written another post about history repeating itself and the importance exercising our memories.

The following post was originally published on my blog on December 6, 2007 and was entitled:

Like a Bad Egg Salad Sandwich - History Repeating


I'm not that smart. My IQ is somewhere between 120 and 140 (depending on the test), but that just means that I'm able to store an above average amount of useless information in my little head (like the names of all five of Charlie's Angels and the actresses who played them - and I don't mean the spoof movies with Drew Barrymore and Lucy Lu, but the 1970's actresses who gave feminism a new face - Yes, Farrah Fawcett-Majors was my heroine, and she was married to Lee Majors, who was the Six Million Dollar Man ;).

But even as dull as I am, I knew that I would need to go to college. I knew that it was likely that I would have to support myself, and even though my parents are still married, and most of my friends' parents were still married, and I lived in a suburb in a small, southern city on the outskirts of a large southern city, and we had food and clothes and cable television. I knew that life, as we lived it, was not going to last forever. I knew that we would get to a point and that would be as far as we could get ... like Lewis and Clark reaching the Pacific.

In the immortal words of Porky Pig Yib-a-dib-a-dib-a-dib-a ... that's all folks!

I don't know what it was, but something made me understand, at a very early age, that a thing can only get so big before it bursts (maybe it was all of those water balloons :).

I vaguely recall news stories about the energy crisis, and now, as an adult, I've found books written in the 1970's that could have been written today.

It's so surreal. It's like deja vu, every ... single ... day. If someone were to research some newsreel footage from the early 70's, they could juxtapose them next to a news story from October 2007, and they would look the same ... except for the hair.

It's almost like our society is on a roller coaster ride. The early 1900's we started up that hill, slowly, slowly, wheels clacking. By 1970, we had just about reached the apex. In the 1980s and 1990s we were teetering on the top, and now, here we are in the new century, and we're heading back down.

Right now, we're running parallel to the 1970's with the war and the energy crisis and a sudden and intense interest in the environment.

More and more people are starting to pick up the eat local movement, the back-to-the-land movement, the gardening in your backyard movement, the Compact, anti-consumerism, exploration of alternative religious philosopies and ideologies or anti-religiousism. These things are leading us back to the 1960's.

I also see more emphasis on families, on stay-at-home parents, attachment parenting, cloth diapering, breast-feeding. The idea of community and family and having strong personal relationships is becoming newsworthy, possibly moving us toward Leave it to Beaver and Father Knows Best.

We're already at War, and it's only a matter of time (sooner than later, if some of those in Power have a say), before it's an all-out World War.

As for Depression, we may already be there, too.

It's like we're speeding down that hill and repeating every single mistake we've made for the past century.

I've heard that those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it. It seems, however, that we're doomed to repeat it anyway, because here we are. It's all coming back to haunt us.

My girls are embracing some of what made the 70's what they were. Little Fire Faery and her team mates performed their group number at competition to this song. I don't know what's worse - that the song was resurrected and used as a competition number ...

... or that I know all of the words.

1 comment:

  1. And the saying is "What goes around, comes around". Hubby & I married in the late 60s, lived in the poor south of Tenn and Fl while he was in the Navy. Saw and learned even more ways to live off and with the land. I breast fed, used cloth diapers, baked my own bread, had a big garden the extra which I froze or canned, heated with wood/coal and walked places instead of using the car.

    Saw the economy drop in the 70s, rise in the 80s and 90s and plummet, especially the housing, recently. Coupled with natural disasters - hurricanes, floods, etc. it has not been easy. But you know what? We know how to be prepared, how to cook from scratch, how to raise at least some of our food. So, I hope that the current crummy economy will teach some of the younger crowd, and remind the older ones, that you must always be vigilant, prepared and take nothing for granted.

    ReplyDelete