Thursday, March 18, 2010

Practicing Gratitude

There are times in our lives when stuff happens taking our minds off the course we have set for ourselves ... times when we allow ourselves to become preoccupied with very mundane details that take our focus off the bigger picture.

We've been working for years toward a more sustainable life, and in an instant that changed with the addition of three new people to our house, two of whom are adults who have their very own ideas of proper living, which, unfortunately clash with ours. All that we've worked toward is compromised.

I find, at times like these, that I need to work extra hard at remembering the Gift of Thanks, and that only in practicing gratitude am I able to really appreciate how amazing life is.

I also find that I can not write, coherently and thoughtfully, about our journey, which seems to have been prematurely aborted. I'm too distracted. There's just too much noise, both inside my head and outside of it, and there's too much commotion.

There's no peace, and part of it has to do with the shear number of people here, but part of it has to do with failed expectations and the need to just let go of my own needs and desires, for a while, and acknowledgement that my today is not my forever.

One day at a time is the wisdom of ages.

With that in mind, my goal, until I'm struck with a topic more fitting this blog space, is to practice gratitude.

And today, I am thankful for the abundant sunshine, the clothes on the line, and the view of the pea trellis I erected yesterday above the peas that I put into the not-quite-all-the-way-thawed raised bed ;).

Peas, lettuce and carrots have been direct sowed.

Garlic was planted last fall and is waiting for warmer days.

The irises and rhubarb are starting to poke through the ground.

And yesterday, Deus Ex Machina and I shared a pot of hemlock tea.

Life is what you make it ... for good or bad, and the Practice of Gratitude really does make a difference.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know if you noticed that I called you something of a perfectionist (I used a different word, purist I think). Anyway, sometimes we have to let go of that, do what it is we can do instead of whatever it is our ideal is. And I think it is better that way anyway, more surprises and gifts. I appreciate your frustration AND your gratitude. Good luck, as always, but somehow I think you'll find your way to meet the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand and can relate with you on the predicament as I am in a similar boat. Thank you for the reminder about gratitude and thank you for allowing yourself to be open and honest and vulnerable to the rest of us.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Might take time, but maybe a breather is also good. Step back, evaluate, reengage with a modified plan that works even better. You know where your locus of control is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that gratitude helps ... I try to remain there and given how great my life is (gag on sappiness ... the maples didn't even give us this much sap) find it pretty easy most days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know Wendy, I think life throws these curve balls (distractions) at us so that we are forced to take a step back and see if the path we have been on is really our true path. Distractions allow us to consider different options available to us and open us up to new possibilities. If the distractions are able to distract us, in either big or little ways, then we may need to tweak our path a bit.

    On the other hand, distractions may strengthen our resolve to continue on our path and confirm that we are headed in the right direction.

    By comparing and contrasting information which comes at you by way of distractions, and inputing it into your "where in the heck is my life heading" decision making paradigm, you end up on a path that has considered many options and choosen the best one for you.

    It sounds like your recent distractions are allowing you to confirm you have made the right lifestyle choice for yourself and also brought you to a place of gratitude. Worthwhile distractions I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my spiritual advisers says that Gratitude isn't a word - it's an action. Something we do. One of the ways you show your gratitude is by not wasting your gifts. Looking at ways to make them go farther. That's what your doing. And one day at a time ensures I don't get paralyzed by a future that does not exist. Keep on Keeping on!

    ReplyDelete