Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tuesday - Eat In

You know, not having a (second) vehicle makes this challenge much easier. I mean, if I don't have a car, then I'm not likely to be running a bunch of errands, and if I'm not running a bunch of errands, then, I'm more likely to be home doing things like making a HUGE pot of beans for dinner.

And that's what I did.

Lunch was a Mexican-esque meal with seasoned ground beef, cheese, salsa, and sour cream (actually it was plain yogurt, but the taste is similar, if the texture is quite different ;) over a bed of tortilla chips. I also opened a jar of the chili-spiced beans I canned a couple of months ago.

Dinner was my favorite cajun food - red beans and rice. I added ham (from the pig share last past fall) and some of the sausage we made (using ground beef from the cow-share at the end of last year) to make the dish more acceptable to Deus Ex Machina ;).

Again, there's a marked lack of fresh veggies, especially anything green, but most of that sort of thing doesn't store well long-term, and what we did have stored (like broccoli, peas and spinach in the freezer) is long-since eaten. I do have some sprouts growing on the counter, though, and I'll try thinking of something I can cook those in ... maybe a nice, hearty beef stew with carrots and potatoes and sprouts ;).

The planting season is getting close, though ... so close. I'm hoping that by the middle of April we'll have some of our own greens to harvest. The seeds are sitting in their box over there taunting me ... plant me ... plant me. I just keep saying, "yes, as soon as the ground dries up a bit, I will."

And if not our own, by then, there will certainly be some wild greens we could enjoy. When's dandelion season, anyway?

So far eating in this week has been wicked easy, which is to say, effortless. Knowing our schedule for the rest of the week, though, I think Thursday night and Friday will be the days that give me the most trouble ... and the most temptation.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, I'm SO on top of dandelion season this year. Can you say cookies? It's been done before by others--but I want my turn!

    When do you plant? I start my seeds around Tax Day and don't move them into the big pots til around Memorial day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I start planting when I can work the soil, which means when the snow melts ;). Most of what I plant can be direct sowed, and I haven't been starting seeds indoors, but this year, I think I'm going to start the tomatoes, and maybe the pumpkins, inside so that I have a bit of a headstart on things. Last year, my tomato crop was dismal, because the plants didn't have enough time to produce a good crop of fruit before it got cold ... oh, and the whole blight thing, too ;).

    I don't have a set time/day to start planting. It's like with the maple sugaring. We just watch.

    ReplyDelete