Monday, January 11, 2010

Purge

I know the normal phrase is "Spring Cleaning", but in the spring, I find that I'm drawn outside, and whatever is inside is ... well, inside.

For me, winter is the time to purge, the time to rid my living space of all of those things that seem to accumulate. I'm spending almost all of my time indoors, and it's the time of year when I need the space to be more clear, because I can't escape it, and I'm one of those people who has a hard time functioning in a cluttered space.

Every so often, I get the urge to purge.

That's what we did yesterday.

We emptied the two bookshelves in my daughters' room and then sorted the books into two piles: keep and donate.

The donate pile had around 160 books.



And when we put the "keep" books back on the shelf, we only needed one of the small bookcases.

We're expecting to increase the number of warm bodies living in our house in the early spring, and so we need to get rid of as much stuff as we can before it happens.

Little bursts at a time makes it all more palatable, though. I am so proud of my girls in their ability to let go of those books. Like me, they tend to hoard, even those things that bring no meaning or joy to their lives, and I was so pleased with how easy they found it to simply let go.

One hundred ... and sixty ... books.

And that's not even half.

When the power goes down and we're snowed in, we'll probably have plenty to do inside.

5 comments:

  1. Hee hee. I was able to survive a book purge when Moochie was born--I just rationalize that he'll now read all the "kiddie" books when he's older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes.. we are purging here, too. Good for your girls in learning young to sort through stuff they want and don't want. We hope to pass that on to our kids, that it is ok to get rid of things, and not hold on to something because you feel obligated to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, wait a minute! Didn't I bring all those books to your house:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, wait a minute! What warm bodies are you talking about??

    ReplyDelete
  5. No way, Tammy! You did not bring even half those books to my house. Most of them were from the Scholastic Warehouse sales we used to go to three or four times a year.

    And, believe me, we still have HUNDREDS of books. When you come over next time and see my still very cluttered bookshelves, you'll wonder what books I gave away ;).

    I can't say what warm bodies, yet, but I promise to share when the time comes :).

    ReplyDelete