Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Recycled Christmas

I have to say that for the first time, in a very long time, I'm actually looking forward to the extended family Christmas celebration :).

For a few years now, I've been doing a mostly homemade Christmas. Last year, I made several gifts including a couple of lap quilts, some games and puzzles for the kids, and some pajama pants. I like making things, but it's hard to do when I don't know how the recipient will react, and when I'm not sure if my homemade (read: time-consuming) gift will be something the recipient even enjoys.

This year, we received the invitation to the festivities, and I have to say that I'm really excited to see how it all pans out. The traditional Yankee Swap will be "recycled gifts" only. The instructions are to find something around one's house that one doesn't use and gift it. It's been a hard year for everyone, and so there is little extra cash for purchasing gifts. Most of us, however, have something back in the closet that's just taking up space. If there's one thing we, Americans, don't lack, it's stuff.

Certainly, there will be the usual assortment of things like scented body wash (that everyone loves to give and no one loves to get) and scented candles (which everyone seems to have an excess of regardless of how each person personally feels about them). There will probably be several other interesting gift packages that look great on the store shelf, but inevitably end up shoved in some nook or cranny until moving day (like the Sofa/Armchair Drink Holder Caddy).


I'm taking a different approach. I told my idea to Deus Ex Machina last night, and his response was "That's very clever."

I love him :). He knows just the right thing to say.

So, I'm very excited.

My favorite part of this holiday is gifting, and the more creative I can be with the gift, the more fun I have.

I think this year will be so much fun!

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha! I've got a butt fugly purse I keep meaning to do something with...it would fit this theme well! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy,

    I hope you don't mind, but I came across your site from FleeceKnit Farm and added your link onto our family blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete