Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Labels

Like many people I've met in my travels around the blogosphere, I named my nanofarm. I call it Wyvern Heath, but only to myself. It's not official or anything.

I chose that particular name, because our homeschool is the Wyvern Academy. Why we chose to name our homeschool is a pretty involved story, but the gist is that we had one formerly publicly schooled "student" and wanted to give her a school identity (when one is thirteen, such things are important). We even ordered t-shirts, jackets and backpacks with our school logo, and at the end of each school year, our portfolio is, basically, a yearbook - very much like the ones school kids get. One year, we even had it professionally bound. It's a very nice keepsake - a kind of scrapbook of our life that year.

I chose *heath*, because it means a place on the outskirts of a town, and my suburban home seemed to fit the definition - maybe not literally, but in spirit, I felt ;).

I thought about having a lawn address plaque made with our nanofarm name. Most of the farms around here that have names have plaques. In fact, the farm where we go for our outdoor class has a very nice one on the corner with a sign stating that they want our leaves (for composting :).

I haven't decided, however, where I would put it, and whether it would be something that I would want staked in the yard, or an address plaque that I would mount to the side of the house.

For a long time, we didn't even have a number on our house - not because we didn't have a number. When we first bought our house, Deus Ex Machina's father and step-mom gave us a tiled number set for sticking to the house, but we never put it up. I couldn't figure out where I wanted the address plaque to go, and so it stayed in a cabinet.

And then, we just bought a small brass number to mount to the side of the house. Sometimes simplicity wins.

I'm still thinking about the plaque on the lawn with our nanofarm.

Of course, a lot of people might argue that a couple of garden beds, a few ducks and several chickens does not a farm make, and I have no business naming our quarter acre anything more than its mailing address.

Maybe I'll wait to get the plaque after I've talked Deus Ex Machina into getting the goats.

Still ... the Wyvern Heath. It has a nice ring. Don't you think?

1 comment:

  1. I like it! I need to name my "plot." The Jersey Step Steppes? ;-)

    ReplyDelete