Thursday, December 31, 2009

Free Rice

We spent the month of December playing on FreeRice.com.

We "earned" 100340 grains of rice, which will feed one person for 5.23 days.

In the process, I learned that Franz Marc has a very distinctive painting style, that Degas often paints dancers, that J.M.W. Turner likes to paint boats on the water, that Jan Vermeer's paintings look almost like photographs, and that Albrect Durer did a painting entitled Young Hare that I would love to have a print of.

All three girls can pick out Franz Marc's paintings and a favorite is the Blue Horse.

I can correctly identify a Vincent Van Gogh painting with very few exceptions.

I also learned that I rock in English grammar and French vocabulary, and I'm not great at it, but that I actually like, basic math (which I couldn't or wouldn't have said mmph mmph mmph years ago when I was suffering through public school math).

I can pretty accurately name most of the countries in the Americas and Europe (except that I always mix up Norway, Sweden and Finland ... almost every time), but anything ending with ~stan, I will almost always miss on the first try. I always thought Saudi Arabia was the only country on the Arabian peninsula, but Oman and Yemen are below S.A. near the Arabian Sea ... now I know. And there are dozens of tiny little countries that are just specks on the map.

It was a lot of fun, taught us a few interesting things, and may have done some good for someone else.

Thanks to thissideofguady, who played along and earned 7000 grains of rice.

Happy New Year, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    Alisha

    http://sketchingdrawing.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do freerice for about half an hour everyday. I love the paintings, I can get up to level 7. Jan Vermeer are the most distinctive paintings to me. I do the german, too. But I can only get to level 2. haha.

    ReplyDelete