Thursday, December 3, 2009

Free Rice

As I mentioned before, Deus Ex Machina and I have challenged ourselves to feed the hungry this month using the website FreeRice.com.

Basically, you answer questions in a number of different categories (I kick ass in French vocabulary and English grammar, and Deus Ex Machina is becoming quite adept at identifying various famous artists) and for every correct answer, a specified number of grains of rice are donated to feed the hungry.

We don't have a daily goal, but we know that it takes just under twenty thousand grains of rice to feed one person for one day. Our current daily total averages out to about one meal per day for one person. It's not great, but it's something.

And every little bit helps, right?

Is anyone else doing the challenge?

How have you fared so far?

3 comments:

  1. I blogged this too a while back. I do best with the English vocabulary. I can get up to 2000 grains or so if I kill an hour while listening to the news on NPR. As distractions go, it qualifies as a good one. And winter's a good time for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure there is some label for me -- skeptic, cynical, something -- but I don't ever actually believe these sorts of things are real -- that someone grows rice that wasn't grown before and ships it somewhere it wasn't shipped before and feeds it so someone who would otherwise not have eaten *because* I click something on the computer. So I don't do it.

    But then I think hunger alleviation programs have done more to increase world population than they have ever done to relieve hunger.

    ReplyDelete