Thursday, November 26, 2009

I Am Thankful

After my rather strongly worded anti-turkey post, I thought I should follow-up with something a little more humble, because I do have a great deal to be thankful for.

I am thankful for Deus Ex Machina. He has changed my life in so many incredible ways. He has made it possible for me to explore lifestyle choices from the safety of my home, and if I misjudge and threaten to capsize us, he's right there to provide the balance. Without him, without his support (both emotional and financial), I would never have been able to embark on my homesteading adventure. I might not be able to be the local-foods snob that I am. It's only because we have so much that I can turn my nose up to foods that don't meet my rigid standards. I know that if we were hungry, I'd take whatever we could get - even a McDonald's hamburger ... or a $20 factory-farm raised turkey from the grocery store. I'm thankful that we don't have to.

I'm thankful that I have such an easy life - one that allows me to be a stay-at-home mom, a writer, a poet, and a farmer. I can be whatever I want to be. I don't have to struggle just to exist every day, and if I can give anything to my children, it would be that.

I am thankful that I can read, and that I live in a world and a place where my gender didn't prevent me from getting an education.

I am thankful that I have healthy children. I am thankful that I have a healthy body. I am thankful that I live in a healthy house on a healthy piece of land.

I am thankful, daily, for the enormous blessings in my life.

And today, on this day when thanks is what we're giving, I am thankful that I have been given this venue in which I can express my thoughts and opinions ... and that there's someone out there who actually wants to read them ;).

Today, I am thankful for you.

My wish for you is that you have as much to be thankful for as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment