Monday, October 26, 2009

Break the Chain - Success!

And it's about time, too, eh?

This week was a very busy one, and as such, I didn't even have time to do much shopping.

For groceries, we went to the health food store for sugar, we bought some coffee at the local coffee shop, I went to Flaherty's for some fresh produce, and we visited the Smiling Hill Farm store on Saturday for milk, cheese and yogurt (and ice cream!).

We received our order from Maine Military Supply, which included the fleshing knife Deus Ex Machina needed for the moose hides*. We're hoping that he didn't wait too long. They don't seem to have rotted, yet, but he spent six straight hours on Sunday fleshing the hides, and in the evening he said he felt like he'd been hit by a freight train. Who knew that fleshing a hide would be so physically demanding? Two of the hides are marinating in tanning solution, and the third is soaking in borax. Hopefully, by January, I'll be wearing a pair of moosehide boots.

That's it, I guess. I don't recall doing any more buying ... unless we count breakfast at a (different) locally owned coffee shop.

My daugther and her husband came over on Friday for dinner. They brought dessert - a bag of Keebler oatmeal-chocolate chip cookies - which they purchased at a small, family-owned (though not "local", because it's an IGA) grocery store down the road. My son-in-law was so pleased that they had "gone local." It's nice that they're trying to support me in this project. They're good kids ;).

I did get a fun phone call last night, though, especially in light of this challenge.

I picked up the phone, "Hello?"

"Hi, I'm blah, blah from blah, blah research company, and we're doing a survey of shoppers from ages 18 to 54. We'd like to ask you a couple of questions about your shopping habits."

I'm thinking, "Woo Hoo! What an opportunity!"

He starts with, "How many people live in your home?" I tell him, and he says, "Including you?" I say yes.

Then, he asks about our ages, and I account for all of us.

Next, he starts asking the meaty questions: How many times in the past year have you purchased the following items for yourself?

Shoes? None.

Scarves? None.

Hats? None.

I'm thinking, "Gee, this isn't so much fun afterall."

Purses? None.

I guess he was thinking he picked the wrong female between the ages of 18 and 54, and so he asks me if there are any other females in the house between those ages, and I'm thinking, "Buddy, do the freakin' math! You already asked me this question."

But I say, "No."

And he hangs up the phone!

Damn the missed opportunity!

Oh, well ... *grin*. C'est la vie.





*My daughter's father-in-law won the moose lottery this year, and on a hunting trip two weeks ago, my son-in-law shot a moose. His group tagged a total of three, and Deus Ex Machina was offered the hides, which would have been tossed in the trash otherwise.

2 comments:

  1. I also had a perfect week. We bought some fish at a local fish shop that just opened in town. They guy gets it down in Thomaston so it was off the boat in Maine.

    I went to Marden's to find fabric for wee one's Halloween Costume. I found that the fabric is much more affordable than Joann's Fabric, at least for my needs.

    I bought eggs at the local feed store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on those moose hide boots! When I was young I could always tell when fall was coming: A Native women would come around and trace my foot on a piece of newspaper and a few weeks later my new winter muck-lucks would appear! They were wonderfully warm.

    ReplyDelete