Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Because I Need More of a Challenge ...

... Chile has graciously allowed me to join her 100 Days Challenge.



... which started seven days ago. So, I'm a bit late ... which is why I say graciously allowed.

For my part, I will challenge myself to exercise every day.

I'm not planning to make this something difficult, though, and I'm not planning to walk five miles or run a marathon, and I'm not joining a gym or committing to an hour a day of cycling or rowing or Yoga.

My goal is to simply do *something* every day, and my plan is to start with some simple calisthenics: the side-straddle hop (or a four-count jumping jack) and push-ups - every day starting with ten SSH and 5 push-ups and adding one every day or so.

It will be fun to see where I am in 100 ... *ahem* ninety-two ... days ;).

The challenge ends on New Year's Day.

6 comments:

  1. That's a great idea! I was about to post a challenge about saving electricity (which I'm still planning to post) but I think I'll join you in also challenging myself to be active every day in some way! Thanks for the inspiration! You can do it, and so can I!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another idea you could consider is simply wearing a pedometer, two days ago I started wearing one for the first time in my life, and the thing is like crack cocaine. (And yes, it HAS only been two days, but I am soooo excited about watching my number of steps increase every day.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, you can go a week into the new year for your 100 days, you know. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! In the final analysis the only way that does work is a little bit at a time. My wife and I have been training for a 5K. Besides walking every day and running twice a week we do a lot of our own brand of mixed aerobic exercises: Cut and Pile wood, dig up the tire garden, soon we will be snow shoeing - that sort of thing. No gym membership required.

    Good luck on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did 100 miles in 100 days or something like that....moving in the middle of the challenge? Not a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the encouragement, Art :). 5K marathon! Awesome! I told Deus Ex Machina that I want to run the Beach to Beacon race (someday), which is 10K. Once upon a time, that would have been nothing (much ;). These days, though .... Maybe this challenge will get me into better shape so that next summer I'll be more prepared ;).

    Irma, I don't really do that much walking. I'm pretty sedentary, as I work from home, but I also just spend too much time on the computer. The most walking I do on the average day is from my bedroom to my computer - which is the length of my house. I think I would be really disappointed that my numbers didn't go up very quickly :). I do a lot of standing, though - in the kitchen cooking, at the clothesline hanging clothes :).

    Oh, Chile, I wouldn't want to confuse the deadlines or anything. I'm okay with ending with everyone else :).

    Bezzie - 100 miles in a 100 days! That's pretty awesome, but I can imagine it was tough trying to walk a mile when you were driving cross country.

    Witchy Mom - You should. Misery loves company, you know ... I mean, it'll be fun ;).

    ReplyDelete