Friday, July 31, 2009

Maine Farmer's Market Week!

The week of August 3-9 has been proclaimed “Maine Farmers’ Market Week” by Governor John Baldacci ...." Read more ...

As a local food enthusiast, this news really delights me, especially the part about challenging us to eat a local meal during this week.

I discussed this with Little Fire Faery the other day. We realized that every meal, every day, includes something that is locally grown, and to her great delight, we often have meals that include foods we've grown ourselves ;) - even something as simple as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich includes many local ingredients: bread with local honey, locally milled flour and jam with local strawberries and made right in our kitchen. She loved that our salads are all locally grown (right here on our property), and my homemade dressing includes local cream, local mayonnaise, and local herbs (grown right on our property).

I will take Seth Bradstreet's (the Maine Commissioner of Agriculture) challenge, and we will have at least one *all* local meal this week - all local means that I won't be having my regular iced tea for dinner ;), but I think I can probably find an herbal substitute ... probably right in my garden :).

4 comments:

  1. WE just found out that the town we are hoping to settle in is 3 miles from a farmer's market and that locally there are at least 4 farmers market's 20 minutes from our potential home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to let you know that I found a great local flour source in Pittston which is the next town over from me. The wheat flour is great, and they are certified organic by MOFGA. Not sure if the travel would be worth it for you guys coming from the Portland area, but figured I would let you know just the same. Here is an article from the Portland Press Herald last year http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=196548 It's called Webb Family Farm, and they are at the Gardiner Farmers' Market on Wednesdays from 2-6 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Heather - thanks for the heads' up! It's always good to know where I can find the things we regularly enjoy :).

    Karin - that is so awesome for you! There are four Farmer's Markets within a very reasonable distance from my house, including the one that I usually frequent (because it's on Saturday mornings, which works for me) that is only a couple of miles away. There's also a farm stand and a couple of farm stores. We are really lucky in this area, and with all of the wonderful, fresh LOCAL options, there's really no reason to buy vegetables (or eggs, butter, cheese, honey or maple syrup - for that matter) at the grocery during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed you mentioned local mayonaisse. I have a recipe for homemade mayo if you would be interested. It's better than any store bought mayo we have tried. It does require a food processor. If you don't have one you might experiment with other whipping methods. There had to be some way to make it before Cuisinart came along.

    ReplyDelete