Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Honesty

So, I was clicking around visiting some of my favorite places. I hopped over to check out what's happening down in Texas, and discovered that someone thinks I'm honest.

All I can say is, "Awww!"

Of course, as I was thinking about honesty, the refrain from this song kept running through my head. Thanks, Mr. Joel.

Anyway ....

I value honesty above most other traits. I think if a person can't give his word and be held to it, he's got nothing to say that's worth listening to, and if a person says something that's not true, and he knows it's not true, he's not worth my time. I really (really) hate people who will tell me what they think I want to hear, just because they think that's what I "want" to hear. No. What I want to hear is the truth, and if one can not speak the truth, one should simply be silent.

If silence is not an option, however, I think honesty is the best policy, even if it means getting into trouble.

For instance, a few years ago, I was pulled over for speeding. It was the first, and to date the last, time I've ever been pulled over for speeding. I've been driving since I was fifteen (although I didn't get my first license until I was almost twenty-one). I've driven, alone, from Kentucky to Florida, from Texas to Lousiana, from Louisiana to Georgia, and from Georgia to Kentucky ... and back. I've also driven overseas - and all of that driving experience occurred BEFORE my one speeding ticket.

So, when the cop comes up to my window and says, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" I didn't even stutter when I said, "I have a pretty good idea."

I mean, seriously, I could have made up something. I was very obviously pregnant, and three of my kids were in the car with me. If I had tried, I could have played it in my favor.

But that wouldn't have been honest. The truth is that I was in a hurry, and I was driving very selfishly, because I just wanted every other person on the Interstate to get the hell out of *my* way, because, of course, where I was going was WAY more important than where anyone else was going that day, which is why I was tailgating and weaving and driving too fast.

I deserved the ticket. I knew it. I couldn't lie.

So, I didn't, and I paid for my mistake.

But I haven't repeated it ... much.

Too much honesty, probably.

But according to the Honest Blogger Award that Kristi nominated me for, I have to list ten "truthful" things about myself.

So, that's two ;).

3. I usually remember the really nice things people do for me ... but I remember with even more clarity the slights. I wish it were the other way around.

4. When people are generous or thoughtful, I always say thank you, but I suck at sending cards.

5. While I value honesty, I don't think a person needs to divulge every sordid secret of her life. There are some things I don't talk about to most people. I don't talk about my religious beliefs, although I'll talk abstractly about my philosophies. I don't talk about my sex life, because that's no one's business, but I'm not above being bawdy for a laugh :).

6. Honestly? I hate that I'm dependent on my car, and I wish I could figure out a way to maintain our lifestyle without having to use that vehicle.

7. I don't want a million dollars.

8. Even if I were guaranteed to win, and even if they gave me the million dollars up front, I wouldn't go on Survivor ... ever!

9. The only thing I've ever really wanted to do that I still haven't done, is to be a paid author.

10. I wish I believed half the nice things people say about me.

So, I guess I'm supposed to pick seven honest bloggers, but ... well, I'm not so good at that sort of thing, but I do have a couple of folks I'd like to recognize, and if they want to play along, please do.

All of these bloggers share such incredible stories about their lives and lifestyles. Once I saw a game going around the blogosphere where we were asked to pick other bloggers whom we thought would make a good community. I'd pick all of these guys to be my neighbors. Most of them are either living similarly to me, or living how I wish I could live, and all of them have given me inspiration and information that encouraged me to do better.

Bezzie from Random Meanderings.

Karl and Tabitha from pile of o'melays.

Karin my blog-buddy from right here in Maine ;).

Matt from Fat Guy on a Little Bike.

Edson from Green, Blue Brown.

The Contrary Goddess

Alecto :).

Barefoot.

Katie.

Bayberry (who started out as my friend from a homeschool listserv and has become a real "friend" .. for real!)

And of course, Kristi at Rambling Woolysheep, but she nominated me, and so I can't nominate her back ;).

That's more than the seven required, but all of these guys have really given me a lot to think about, and they're all a big part of the reason I decided to take the fork back out :).

4 comments:

  1. Awww...thanks for the nom...but curses for getting that song stuck in my head now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True story: Husband asked someone "Do you know why I stopped you" and the guy replied "yeah. d*mn. I knew I'd get caught. It's the weed in the trunk, isn't it." I am not kidding. It happens, that's why they ask! :)

    Honesty is also easier, because you don't have to remember any lies you tell. I find that convenient since I couldn't remember if I wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou! I think you would be an awesome neighbor too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you, besides honesty being easier i find that my karma can't take even the slightest transgression.

    ReplyDelete