Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Lovin' My House

For all of its quirks and eccentricities, I will say that since we added insulation to some key areas, the temperature inside is usually considerably more comfortable than that of the outside.

I had no idea it was so warm out today. I spent the morning doing chores inside, including baking bread. Right now it's near 80° outside (very unusual for this time of year, by the way), but inside, it's a very comfortable 69°.

In fact, when I was looking out of the windows just a bit ago, watching the wind blowing the baby chicks' feathers, I was thinking they might be a little chilly, seeing as how this is their first day out of the house and all. They aren't. Not at all. In fact, they're panting, because it's so warm.

But it is cool inside, naturally cool, because we have no air conditioner.

That's why I'm lovin' my house - warm when it's cold out and cool when it's warm out ... without electricity.

Ahh!

5 comments:

  1. That is always great when you have a house with good insulation and good air circulation.

    I can remember when almost no buildings up there had A/C. I remember going into the local store and finding the clerk standing in the soda cooler in front of the bottles with the door closed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My home is well insulated too. Even on 90 degree days, if we keep it closed up, its only around 70 in here. My neighbors either run the air, or the furnace (depending on the season )daily. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strange weather - 80 on Maine and 80 in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same about my own house... Keeps cool in the summer and warms well in the winter. I like the fact that we have not had to use the wood stove in nearly 6 weeks and last summer we used the A/C for a total of 2 weeks (on those really humid and hot days and we had the newborn to think about). A big difference from our old house where no matter what we did, it was always HOT in summer and always COLD in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy: Re your comment on my post. Tell your hubby that beyond cattail, cottonwood, willow, spruce (I'm not sure that we've got "white" spruce, I think ours is "black"), lambsquarters, plantain, fireweed, wild chive, and the berries..... MOST of the plants I identified came directly out of my "Alaska's Wild Plants" id book. Many of them, I've never seen in my neighbourhood, but as the book is divided into groups of "sea and sandy shore", "gardens, lawns & disturbed soil", "forests & open woods", "moist places", "tundra and dry places" "grassy meadows & forest openings" and "marshes, ponds and wetlands"..... I can identify reasonably well the areas that these folks were hiking through, and be somewhat positive of the types of plants they were coming into contact with. (Although, Alder was not mentioned in my book, but I recognized the alder thickets on the show. I'm just not sure what Alder is good for.)

    RE: the comment about white spruce tips.... Actually, black spruce tips are very high in vit-c as well. I was going to try to find a tree or two today and pick enough tips for a couple days worth of tea, whatever else the Dr. says. (And, I didn't include spruce tips on the list of plants on my review because the show takes place in late-fall/early winter, and spruce tips are best harvested in the spring when they're fresh and supple. Wouldn't have done the group as much good as a couple of rose-hips would have.)

    Anyway, thanks for commenting at my place. Oh, and I'm gld to hear that y'all are so happy with your insulation and heating in your home. That's a great aspect to have confidence in.

    ReplyDelete